Olympic coordinators have cautioned “no arrangement will be perfect” in getting ready for Tokyo 2020 in the wake of being blamed for putting competitors “in harm’s way”.
The mid year show-stopper is booked to start on 24 July in spite of the persistent abrogation of games because of the coronavirus episode.
Olympic hero Katerina Stefanidi said the International Olympic Committee was “taking a chance with our wellbeing”.
England’s Katarina Johnson-Thompson said preparing had become “inconceivable”.
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) reacted, expressing: “This is uncommon which requires excellent arrangements. The IOC is focused on finding an answer with the least negative effect for the competitors, while ensuring the trustworthiness of the opposition and the competitors’ wellbeing.
“No arrangement will be perfect right now, this is the reason we are depending on the obligation and solidarity of the competitors.”
‘ I feel under tension’
World heptathlon champion Johnson-Thompson, 27, is coming back to the UK from her preparation base in France because of the nation being in lockdown.
Tokyo 2020 coordinators have vowed to convey a “total” Games yet Johnson-Thompson said current direction from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) is confounding.
She stated: “The IOC exhortation ‘urges competitors to keep on getting ready for the Olympics Games as well as can be expected’ with the Olympics just four months away yet the administration enactment is upholding disengagement at home, with tracks, rec centers and open spaces shut.
“I feel compelled to prepare and keep a similar daily practice, which is inconceivable.
“I’m in a blessed spot given the conditions. I’m sound, very much bolstered and I have just equipped for the Olympics. In any case, right now it’s hard to move toward the season when everything has switched in the number one spot up separated from a definitive cutoff time.”
All club instructional meetings, occasions, rivalries, club board of trustees and eye to eye gatherings, competitor camps, running gatherings and get-togethers have been suspended across England, Scotland and Wales.
‘Our wellbeing is in danger’
A few competitors have joined Johnson-Thompson in highlighting disarray on how they ought to get ready.
Stefanidi, who won gold for Greece in post vault at Rio 2016, stated: “This isn’t about how things will be in four months. This is about how things are currently.
“The IOC needs us to continue taking a chance with our wellbeing, our family’s wellbeing and general wellbeing to prepare each day? You are placing us in peril at this moment, today, not in four months.”
Hayley Wickenheiser, an individual from the IOC, has said the Olympic overseeing body’s choice to “push forward, with such conviction, is heartless and unreliable given the condition of mankind.”
Spanish Olympic Committee (COE) President Alejandro Blanco has revealed to Reuters he would incline toward the current year’s Games be deferred.
Around 57% of the competitors set to go to the Games have so far qualified.
On Tuesday, the IOC requested that competitors proceed with arrangements “decently well”.